I work. A lot. Good Babysitters are life!
When it comes to bringing someone into your home to watch your children, IT IS A BIG DEAL. This person has your most prized possessions, inside your most expensive purchase, your home.
I started babysitting at 12 years old, 3 boys 6,3 and 1. It was INTENSE. Today we would say that's crazy! I agree!! But I did it, I worked the entire summer for $8 per hour. I was loooooaded for a teenager! I spent it all at Claire's...
Before I started babysitting my mom gave me some tips that I think are SO important.
1. NEVER leave the children alone. Period. They are your responsibility and you are in their territory. They will get ya, their like ninjas.
2. Feed the children, and while they eat do the dishes.
Oh, and if there's any other dishes do those too. It's just nice. (My sitter does this when I leave dishes, and it is A TREAT!)
3. Check Diapers often & be sure the children are clean/bathed/hair brushed/teeth brushed/pajama'd and ready for bed when mom & dad arrive home.
*If your unsure if they want you to do this, ask!
4. Have them write down phone numbers & emergency contacts before they leave, find out if they have any allergies, and if there is absolutely something they should not do or some where they should not go.
5. Play with the children!! Play freeze dance, color, go outside and play soccer, INTERACT.
This is what you are being paid to do.
6. When mom/dad arrive home, be sure the house is in the condition they left it, or better. If they play with a toy, they pick it up before they get out another. Just because this isn't your home, doesn't mean it's ok to let the children deystroy it. Again, you're being paid to oversee the children's behavior.
7. Let the parents know what you did & what you fed them along with any important information about the day.
And Some of our Favorites from MOCV members:
Keep the Children Alive.
Stay off your phone.
Do not lose the children.
Dont Burn the house down.
Get off your phone.
But, if you do burn down the
house, be sure to get the children and animals out.
Please no permanent markers, please. PLEASE!
Please do not let them eat every fruit snack packet in the house.
For the love of god get off your phone.
Please do not invite any friends over without my permission, especially your boyfriend.
Stay off your phone!
don't let them manipulate you. Oreo cookies in bed at 10:00 is NEVER an option.
Put the phone down.
if you give them something to drink before bed, make sure they go potty. Unless your coming back for clean up tomorrow......
Make them Laugh!
Channel your inner child!
I'm looking for ward to sleeping in the next day, so be sure to exhaust them.
Bonus info for MOMS of Teenage girls:
CRPD offers a babysitting training course along with cpr classes, this is a great way to get the basics!